Author Topic: Heads up on a potential scam (Domain Registry services)  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Doug Hazard

• Richweb Staff (Admin)
  • CFB / MBB Junkie
    • http://twocentsradio.net
Heads up on a potential scam (Domain Registry services)
« on: December 21, 2015, 06:33:51 pm »
Richweb/GlobalWeb custoemrs, we wanted to bring up concern regarding a possible alert you might receive... especially if you're having a new domain registered, or we register a domain for you. Sometimes, we'll get these when a customer renews their domain, as well.

I'm including one of the many formats I've seen below for you to pay attention to. Sometimes you'll get these via snail mail, sometimes you'll get these via email.

In most cases, they're cleverly designed marketing/scam ploys built to look like an actual invoice.

When receiving these via email, you can report that as spam to any of the spam reporting agencies (I use SpamCop.net).

If you receive something like this ("Domain Registry of America" is one of the worst I've seen the past 15 years), write "REFUSED" on the outside (front) of the envelope and put it in your outgoing mail. You don't want to open these, of course.

I really despise these types of organizations; they are extremely predatory in nature, and far too many people are intimidated (or scammed) into paying for these things. If you're not careful, you'll end up transferring your domain name over to an organization that can charge you up to $100/year for even a simple domain renewal.

I had one of my own direct customers ask me about this very same thing a couple weeks ago.

Sadly, the law is not able to maintain pace with technology and these fly by night organizations. They tend to pop up and fade away very quickly; often after considerable damage/deception has been done.

If you ever have a question regarding a domain renewal notice or some type of domain registration service, please do feel free to contact the Richweb team. We'll be happy to work with you to help identify whether something you received is a legit offer or not.

Date: November 23, 2015 at 3:33:04 AM EST
To: NAME REDACTED
Subject: Domain Notification for DOMAIN REDACTED : This is your Final Notice of Domain Listing
Reply-To: domains@searchlistingreg.com

Attention: Important Notice , DOMAIN SERVICE NOTICE
Domain Name: DOMAIN REDACTED

ATT: NAME REDACTED
REGISTRANT CONTACT: PHONE REDACTED
DOMAIN REDACTED

Response Requested By 23 - November - 2015

PART I: REVIEW NOTICE

Attn: NAME REDACTED
As a courtesy to domain name holders, we are sending you this notification for your business Domain name search engine registration. This letter is to inform you that it's time to send in your registration.

Failure to complete your Domain name search engine registration by the expiration date may result in cancellation of this offer making it difficult for your customers to locate you on the web.

Privatization allows the consumer a choice when registering. Search engine registration includes domain name search engine submission. Do not discard, this notice is not an invoice it is a courtesy reminder to register your domain name search engine listing so your customers can locate you on the web.

This Notice for: DOMAIN REDACTED will expire at 11:59PM EST, 23 - November - 2015 Act now!

Select Term and Package Here

Payment by Credit/Debit Card
Select the term using the link above by 23 - November - 2015

DOMAIN REDACTED
Doug "Bear" Hazard
@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville | http://gridironhistory.com

Co-Host of Two Cents Radio, powered by the SportsManCave.com Radio Network, Wednesday Nights from 8 PM to 10 PM Central, covering SEC and Sun Belt Sports.

Listen at SMCRadio.com and follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the name of the company behind these forums? (7 letters, no space):